How to “Spring Clean” Your Dental Health Routine
Warmer weather, budding trees…signs of spring are all around us! The first few glimpses of spring-like weather may send us into a spring cleaning frenzy around our homes and yards. Before you grab your bucket, squeegee, and mop, take a moment to think about your dental health routine. Could it use a little sprucing up? Today we’ll share a few tips to “spring clean” your dental routine so your smile is healthy, vibrant, and ready for the new season!
Replace your toothbrush
The American Dental Association recommends you replace your toothbrush (or brush head, if you use an electric toothbrush) every three to four months, or sooner if the bristles become frayed or if you’ve been ill. When was the last time you replaced YOUR toothbrush?
Since we’re on the topic of toothbrushes, here are a few additional tips from the ADA to keep your family safe and healthy:
- Never share your toothbrush.
- Store toothbrushes upright if possible so they can air-dry faster after use.
- Rinse your brush thoroughly with tap water after use.
- Children’s toothbrushes may need to be replaced more often than every three months. Replace once you observe the bristles have begun to fray.
Mix things up and try something new
Do you find it tough to remember to floss every day? You may be more likely to stick with your dental health routine if you keep things fresh and new! Consider trying a new type of dental floss:
- Waxed floss: Waxed floss is a commonly used option and comes in a variety of flavors (cinnamon, mint, bubble gum – even surprising flavors, like bacon!).
- Dental tape: Dental tape is a thin “ribbon” of floss that slides between teeth easily.
- Floss picks: Floss picks are a good option if it’s difficult or painful to open your mouth wide enough to use traditional flossing methods.
Visit your favorite dentist
As you check things off your spring cleaning to-do list, don’t forget to make sure you have your family’s dental visits scheduled! Early morning, lunchtime, and evening appointments make it easy to find a time that’s convenient for each member of your family. Call us today at (215) 646-5777 or contact us online and we’ll be happy to set up your next appointment.
Finally, if your smile has been looking a little dull lately, it may be the perfect time to talk to your dentist about our at-home whitening options. A freshly whitened smile may be just what you need to feel ready for spring and summer!
Spiffing up your dental health routine is quick and easy!
Spring is often referred to as a time for new beginnings. If your dental routine has suffered, now is the perfect time to get things back on track with a fresh toothbrush, new floss options, and a dental checkup and cleaning. These quick and easy steps can help you enjoy a healthy smile throughout the season!
The content on this blog is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of qualified health providers with questions you may have regarding medical conditions.
Re-posted with permission. Source